Jays 4 Pirates 2: Jays win third straight spring game

Mark Buehrle - Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports

Undefeated in February! It's not the same as being undefeated in October, but we'll take what we can get.

Blue Jays 4 Pirates 2

Three games, three wins. Maybe Buck and Jerry are right that Seitzer is a miracle worker.

Happy thoughts:

  • Once again Moises Sierra made good contact, hitting a hard single that went right through the Pirates SS, but his big moment was throwing out Gaby Sanchez, who was trying to tag up from second to on a deep fly to the right field corner. Just a terrific throw. Moises has looked really good this spring.
  • Mark Buehrle looked good in his first inning (3 quick outs), less good in his second, 2 hits, a walk and a run. All in, not bad for his first time out.
  • Brandon Morrow was much the same, great quick first inning. His second inning, he gave up 2 hard hit doubles to start off the inning, then was helped out by the fly out double play by Moises. Another hard hit fly to Sierra ended his inning, with him giving up the 1 run. Not great but his first time out there since last May,
  • Steve Delabar and Chad Jenkins each pitched a clean inning. Sean Nolin gave up a hit and a walk in his scoreless inning.
  • We had our first live look at Aaron Sanchez, we saw the good and the bad. An amazing curve for strike 3 against his first batter. A quick ground out followed. 'Then a walk, a soft single and a walk, before he got out of the inning.
  • Liam Hendriks allowed just a walk in getting what will likely be his only save ever for the Jays, pitching the 9th. Andy Burns made a great play at first to help him out.
  • Munenori Kawasaki had 2 singles, a walk and a steal...I think he wanted to show Gibby that he shouldn't just give second base to Goins.
  • Colby had a hard hit single to drive in a run and drove in another with a tapper to the pitcher, who bobbled it, taking away any chance at getting the runner at the plate. Course we were told it was Seitzer that caused it.
  • Dioner Navarro doubled, and looked fine behind the plate.

Not so happy thoughts:

  • 0 fors for Gose, Lind, Dan Johnson, Izturis and Goins (though Goins and Gose each had a walk. And I think that's about all unhappy thoughts. Who can have unhappy thoughts when there is baseball?

Tomorrow the Orioles are the opponents. It looks like it is on MLB.tv. Drew Hutchison, Ricky Romero and Marcus Stroman will each get their first spring game action.