Blue Jays sign pitcher Hansel Rodriguez from the Dominican

Jonathan Ferrey

Update: Stupid me, we already knew this, we included it on a post on the Jays signing Ricardo Nanita, two weeks ago.

It isn't the big free agent pitcher signing we've been waiting for but the Blue Jays made an international signing, getting pitchers Hansel Rodriguez, from the Dominican Republic, for $300,000.

Baseball America says this about him (and if you hit that link there is some video of him throwing.

Rodriguez, 16, is around 6-foot-2, 180 pounds with a fastball that sits in the low-90s and touches 95. Rodriguez also throws an above-average curveball, which had made him one of the top arms available in Latin America after going unsigned last year on July 2. Rodriguez, who turns 17 on Feb. 27, trained with Felix Taveras.

Can you imagine a 16 year old that can throw 95 and good curve too?

The Jays got some extra international money by picking Brian Moran in the Rule-5 draft and then flipping him to the Angels in return for some of those international dollars.

Alex has been signing a lot of good international players, It will take a few years for them to work their way through our system.