Jays lose to Rays: Ricky Romero throws 4 good innings

Melky makes a catch at the wall, I doubt he could have jumped that high last year. - Leon Halip

Rays 4 Blue Jays 3

Happy Thoughts:

  • Ricky Romero pitched 4 innings, allowed 2 hits, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts with 1 earned. Jerry Howarth said he was throwing 94. If it was his knees that were causing his problems, he really should have had them fixed up before. I still don't think he will make the team out of spring training (unless we have a couple more injuries) but, at least, he's making a case that he could be called up if/when a pitcher is hurt.
  • Adam Lind was 2 for 2 with a walk and double (that apparently got stuck in the outfield fence. He must have hit it very hard.
  • Edwin Encarnacion hit a 2-run home run, his second of the spring.
  • Brett Lawrie was 2 for 3, one an infield single.
  • Colby Rasmus had his first hit since returning to the lineup, a double. He also had 2 strikeouts, but I'll take the hard hit ball as a positive.
  • Ryan Goins was 1 for 3, bringing his BA up to .231. He also made some nice plays in the field.
  • Melky Cabrera made a nice catch in left and Jose Bautista threw out a runner trying to go from first to third.

Less Happy Thoughts:

  • Marcus Stroman was hit pretty hard. 4 innings, 5 hits, 1 walks, 3 strikeouts, 1 home run and 3 earned. He wasn't terrible but not great.
  • Chad Jenkins gave up the game winning home run in the 9th.
  • Erik Kratz was 0 for 3, and he made two throws to second base from his knees on stolen bases against us. I hate the throws from the knees.
  • Melky was 0 for 3 and Bautista was 0 for 2 with a walk.
  • We had 8 hits and 2 walks, with a home run and yet only scored three runs

Tomorrow's game is, again, not on TV. It is only on MLB Audio and Sportsnet 590. Esmil Rogers starts for the Jays.

The Jays are now 6-7 on the spring.

SB Nation Featured Video