Jays lose to Astros: Esmil Rogers gives up 2 home runs

David Manning-USA TODAY Sports

Astros 7 Blue Jays 5

Happy Thoughts:

  • Dustin McGowan, coming back after missing time with a flu, did pretty good. 2 innings, only 1 walk allowed. It was mostly fly outs for Dustin, 4 fly outs, 2 ground outs.
  • Jose Reyes was 2 for 3, including a bunt single and got his average over .200 for the first time this spring. ..212.
  • Melky Cabrera was 2 for 3, with a double. He's hitting .364 now, with 5 doubles. I didn't hear any complaints about his play in CF today either.
  • Anthony Gose was 2 for 2 with a double and a triple. .227.
  • Jose Bautista was 1 for 2 and made a couple of nice catches in RF. .375.
  • Edwin Encarnacion was 1 for 2 with a double..323.
  • Adam Lind was 1 for 3 with a double off the wall. .391.
  • Moises Sierra was 1 for 2 with a walk. He was also caught stealing. .304.

Less Happy Thoughts:

  • Esmil Rogers was hit hard. In 3 innings, he allowed 5 hits, 2 home runs, 2 walks, 4 earned with 6 strikeouts. His first inning was good, a ground out and 2 strikeouts. And the 6 strikeouts in total looks good. But I was sure he had the 5th starter's job, but it looks like he wants to make a race out of it. His ERA jumps to 7.00
  • Jeremy Jeffress had a tough time too. 1.1 innings, 4 hits, 2 walks, 1 earned and 1 strikeout. I was really hoping he was going to make the team, but he hasn't had a great spring. His ERA is 4.50, but he's given out 5 walks in 6 innings.
  • Neil Wagner had troubles too. 1.2 innings, 2 hits, a double and a home run, with 2 strikeouts. His ERA is now 7.94 on the spring.
  • Brett Lawrie was 0 for 3. .333.
  • Dioner Navarro was 0 for 3. .238.
  • Ryan Goins was 0 for 2. .214.
  • Luis Rivera isn't impressing me, he sent Jose Bautista home, to get thrown out at the plate. There were 2 outs, so might have been worth the try, but it sounded like he was out by a fair bit  I thought we lost too many runners at the plate last year.
  • We had 13 hits and 3 walk but only scored 5 runs. We did have 2 guys caught stealing and Bautista's out at the plate.

Tomorrow the Red Sox travel to Dunedin. Again it is only on radio, boo. J.A. Happ is pitching in a minor league game tomorrow, not sure who gets the start in the major league game.