Drew Hutchison has another good start, but Jays lose to Red Sox

Drew - Jonathan Dyer-USA TODAY Sports

Red Sox 3 Blue Jays 1

Happy Thoughts:

  • Drew Hutchison was great again. 4.2 innings, 4 hits, 1 earned, 0 walks and 7 strikeouts. The radio guys were says he was throwing as hard as 95.
  • Sergio Santos had a quick inning, with a ground out, strikeout, ground out.
  • Moises Sierra played 2 innings of first base. There were 3 ground outs, while he was there, and, not that it is tough, he made the catch at first on the throws. I wish we could have seen him play there.
  • Ryan Goins made some nice plays at short.
  • We can be sure Clay Buchholz didn't get burnt in the Florida sun.

Less Happy Thoughts:

  • Kyle Drabek had a good first inning, allowing a walk, but getting 2 strikeouts. His second inning wasn't good. He gave up a leadoff single, with the runner going to second on a Diaz error. A ground out and sac fly scored the run. Then a single and a double scored another run. Kyle had a scoreless 9th, even with two errors, a bad throw by Diaz (but the error was given to first baseman Jared Goedert for not making the catch) and a second error for Goedert booting a sac bunt attempt. A fly out and a ground double play got Kyle out of the inning.  In all Drabek went 3 innings, allowed 3 hits, 1 walk, 2 earned, with 2 strikeouts. With 3 errors made while he was on the mound, it could have been a lot worse.
  • We had some bad defense. Anthony Gose throw to tee play went to the fence in the 8th inning. And the three errors over the 8th and 9th innings. Diaz is supposed to be a very good defensive SS but he hasn't shown it to us this spring.
  • We didn't have much for offense, 5 singles and a double. The double was from Kevin Pillar, driving in both our runs. Goins was 0 for 4, dropping his average to .188. Colby Rasmus was 0 for 3, .273. 0 for 2's go to Jose Bautista (.346), Anthony Gose (.208), Dioner Navarro (.217), Sierra (.280, he did have a walk and he hit a hard line drive that found a glove to end the game) and Chris Getz (..250, he had a walk today too).

The Jays sent Neil Wagner down to the minor league camp today.

Tomorrow they play the Rays, again not on TV or MLB.tv. Bluejays.com says Sean Nolin gets the start, I'm not sure that's right.