Blue Jays sign Mike McDade to minor league contract

Mike McDade, a couple of years ago. - Jonathan Ferrey

The Blue Jays signed Mike McDade to a minor league contract. He'll likely end up in Buffalo.

McDade was our 6th round pick in the 2007 draft and he appeared on more than one of our top prospects lists. Back in November of 2012, the Jays DFAed him and he was picked up by the Cleveland Indians off waivers. They removed him from the 40-man roster, along with Mike McCoy and Cory Wade, to make room for Ryan Goins and A.J. Jimenez, to protect them from the Rule 5 Draft.

McDade hit .254/.313/.390 in 94 games with Charlotte in the International League last year. He had 10 home runs and 46 RBI. Mike is 24 now and he left prospect status a couple of years ago, but he gives us some depth at 1B in Buffalo. He's a switch hitter and has some power.

Alex, now you've signed him, how about talking to Stephen Drew?