Sean Nolin gives up grand slam, Jays lose to Rays

Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 3 Rays 6

Happy Thoughts:

  • Chad Jenkins was pretty good, 2.1 innings, 2 hits, 1 earned.
  • John Stilson was very good, yet again, 2 innings, 1 hit, 1 walk.
  • Marcus Walden also had 2 scoreless innings.
  • Brad Glenn was 2 for 4, with a double.
  • Kevin Pillar was 2 for 4 with a 2-run triple. He's had some hard hit balls the last couple of days, nice to see.

Less Happy Thoughts:

  • Sean Nolin had a very rough start. 1.2 innings, 5 hits, 5 earned, 3 walks with the grand slam home run. If he was in the running for a roster spot (I don't think he was), he isn't now.
  • Brett Lawrie was 0 for 3 with a walk. .296 on the spring.
  • Moises Sierra was 0 for 4, with a strikeout. He has cooled off since his hot start to the spring. .241.
  • Josh Thole was 0 for 3 with a k. .176. Kratz must be leading the race for the backup catcher job, unless the Jays think he can't catch Dickey.
  • Ryan Goins was 0 for 3. He's hitting .171 now. I know the Jays say the job is his to lose, but I wonder how low the bar is. I presume they would need him to hit better than .171. Especially when all he hits are singles and he doesn't walk much.
  • Colby Rasmus had a throwing error. He was 1 for 3 on the day.

Not that it really matters (though wins are always more fun than losses) but the Jays have lost 4 in a row now. They are 6-10 on the spring. Tomorrow's game is against the Orioles, in Dunedin. And again, no TV.

Latest News

In This Article

Teams