Chad Jenkins, Sean Nolin, and Kyle Drabek Optioned To Buffalo

David Manning-USA TODAY Sports

Pitchers Chad Jenkins, Sean Nolin, and Kyle Drabek have all been optioned to AAA Buffalo.

No huge surprise today with the news that pitchers Chad Jenkins, Sean Nolin, and Kyle Drabek have been optioned to Buffalo. All three had an outside shot at a rotation spot, but none of them were able to impress the Blue Jays enough to stick around. Jenkins went 6.2 innings allowing three earned runs and striking out five. Nolin went 5.1 innings allowing seven earned runs, along with being hit pretty badly yesterday. Drabek went 8.0 innings allowing eight earned runs along with six walks, which pretty well punched his ticket for Buffalo.

Unless these players are called up to Toronto in the first few weeks of the season, then each will burn another option year which is especially frustrating in Sean Nolin's case. For Nolin and Jenkins, 2014 will be the second of their option years, while Drabek will be out of options at the end of this season.

Drabek and Drew Hutchison were in fairly similar situations entering the spring and clearly only Drew took advantage of the opportunity. It's anybody's guess what happens to Drabek, but with the logjam of pitchers in the Toronto organization, Alex Anthopoulos might try to move him. Obviously his value is nowhere near as high as it used to be, but come this time next year the team will have to make some sort of decision with the feisty right hander.