Jose Bautista hits two home runs, Jays beat Phillies

Bautista makes a catch....yesterday, no pictures from today's game yet - David Manning-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 11 Phillies 6

Happy Thoughts:

  • The hitters did great, 18 hits and many hard hit balls. Nice to see so many of the regulars making good contact.
  • Jose Bautista was 2 for 4, with 2 home runs and 4 RBI. .361.
  • Jose Reyes 2 for 4, with a double. .239.
  • Melky Cabrera: 2 for 2, 2 RBI. He's hitting the ball hard.
  • Edwin Encarnacion: 2 for 4, with a double. .310.
  • Adam Lind: 1 for 3, double, walk, 2 RBI. .364.
  • Brett Lawrie: 2 for 4. .324.
  • Ryan Goins: 3 for 4, with a triple, bunt single and hard hit line drive single. .209. He also made a great play at short.
  • Brett Cecil had a scoreless 1.1 innings, with 1 k.
  • John Stilson, also a scoreless inning, 1 hit, 1 k.
  • Steve Delabar gave up a single and a walk, but got a double play ball and a k.
  • Sergio Santos gave up a home run in his 1.1 but looked good other than that.

Less Happy Thoughts:

  • J.A. Happ: 2.2 innings, 3 hits, 4 walks, 2 k and 3 earned. Yeah, pretty awful. I don't know what to think, he's a better pitcher than he's shown this spring, but then I'm a better pitcher than he's shown this spring. And you don't want me in the rotation either.
  • Aaron Loup: 1.2 innings, 4 hits, 2 earned, 1 k. He was hit pretty hard too.
  • Colby Rasmus was 0 for 4 with 3 strikeouts. .206. He's needs some more at bats.

So the leftover spot in the rotation looks like it is Esmil Rogers' to win, if he can put together a half decent effort tomorrow. Tomorrow's game isn't on Sportsnet but it is on MLB.tv. It is against the Phillies again, this time over at Clearwater, the Phillies very pretty spring park.