Jose Bautista homers, but Jays lose to Yankees

Jose and Brett chat before the game. - Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports

Yankees 8 Blue Jays 2

Jays are now 3-2 this spring.

Happy thoughts:

  • Jose Bautista homered in the first, it didn't seem like he made great contact, but he was strong enough to knock it out.
  • Esmil Rogers looked good, he did give up 3 hits and a run in his 2 innings, but 2 of the hits were very soft contact. One went about 15 feet down the third base line.
  • Brett Cecil pitched a nice inning, he did give up two very soft hits, but also struck out two.
  • Munenori Kawasaki made a great play, very deep at short, making a strong throw to first to end the Yankees 7th inning. I didn't think he had the arm for that play.
  • John Stilson came into the game with the bases loaded, two outs, and got a nice strikeout.
  • Melky Cabrera was 2 for 3 with a double. Looks good at the plate, and is running better than last year (which, I know, is faint praise).
  • Adam Lind hit a ball to the opposite field wall (after 2 strikeouts in his first 2 at bats).
  • Jose Reyes and Edwin Encarnacion each had hard hit doubles. Reyes was also thrown out stealing second.
  • Dioner Navarro looks pretty smooth behind the plate. He had a single in 3 at bats.
  • Chad Jenkins had a quick 9th, with 2 strikeouts.

Not so happy thoughts:

  • Todd Redmond did not look good, giving up 2 deep homers, 2 walks and 3 earned in his two innings. It's early but he didn't help his chances for the 5th starter spot.
  • Jeremy Jeffress got 2 quick outs, then gave up a single and 2 walks. He was lucky that Stilson came in and got the third out, without giving up a run.  I didn't think he looked all that bad, but then I like the guy.
  • Aaron Loup gave up a could of hits and a run.
  • Neil Wagner gave up 3 hits, including a 3 run homer.
  • Ryan Goins was 1 for 4. The one hit was a ground single that rolled through the infield. I shouldn't complain, but I haven't seen him make good contact yet.

Tomorrow the Jays play a split squad of the Twins, I think the game is on MLB.tv but it isn't  on Sportsnet. J.A. Happ gets his second start.

SB Nation Featured Video

In This Article

Teams