Erik Kratz hits 2 home run, Jays beat Phillies

Esmil

Blue Jays 3 Phillies 1

Happy Thoughts:

  • Esmil Rogers pitched 4.2 pretty good innings, allowing 5 hits, 1 earned, 1 walk, with 6 strikeouts. If the last spot in the rotation is between him and Happ, he has it. But, it does sound like the Jays are looking at him as a reliever. I really don't understand why they would consider Happ.
  • Dustin McGowan threw 3 terrific innings, allowing 1 hit, getting 5 strikeouts. It really is too bad that they aren't considering him for the rotation, it's way too good for a long relief/mopup role. He gave up a leadoff double in the 7th and Steve Tolleson made an error, to give the Phillies two on, no outs. After a wild put runners on 2nd and 3rd, still with no outs, McGowan got 2 strikeouts and a ground out to get out of the inning. His other two innings were quick 3 up, 3 down innings.
  • Bobby Korecky pitched a scoreless 9th, getting a strikeout, to get the save.
  • Jose Reyes was 1 for 3 and took a walk. He was also thrown out stealing. Batting average is slowly climbing, .245 now.
  • Moises Sierra was 1 for 3, with a home run. He also played CF, I didn't see him have any troubles out there, but I left after the 4th inning. .243.
  • Erik Kratz was 3 for 3 with 2 home runs. .455.
  • Jose Bautista made a very nice throw to get Carlos Ruiz, at second, trying to turn a double into a double.

Less Happy Thoughts:

  • We had two caught stealing, Reyes and Tolleson and Jose Bautista was picked off first.
  • Ryan Goins was 0 for 3 with a walk (.196) and Munenori Kawasaki was 0 for 2. .235.

Tomorrow the Jays visit the Rays. It isn't on TV or MLB.tv. Todd Redmond starts tomorrow.