Great start for Aaron Sanchez, Brett Lawrie homers. Jays beat Rays

Blue Jays 5 Rays 0

Let's take it as a good sign that a team of Jays, made up largely of minor leaguers beats a Rays team that had mostly their regulars.

Happy Thoughts:

  • Aaron Sanchez as great for 5.1 innings, allowing just 3 hits, 3 walks, getting 2 strikeouts. He also got the Rays to ground into 3 double plays. Just a great job. I'm starting to think we'll be seeing him by mid-season.
  • Jeremy Jeffress was also great, allowing just a walk, in 2.1 innings, with a strike out. Jefress needed to have a good outing. I really thought he was pitching himself off the team.
  • John Stilson pitched a scoreless inning as well, with 1 strikeout. If we could trade a couple of relievers, I'd be happy to see him in our bullpen this year. He still has a 0 ERA for the spring.
  • Anthony Gose was 2 for 4, but he was picked off first and caught stealing (all one play) once too.  .267 on the spring.
  • Brett Lawrie was 2 for 3, with a home run and 3 RBI. Nice to see a home run from him, before the spring ends, he really didn't see to be driving the ball, until the last few days. ..350.
  • Adam Lind was 2 for 4. One of the hits was against a lefty. .378.

Less Happy Thoughts:

  • Colby Rasmus was 1 for 4, but the 3 outs were all strikeouts. He needs every swing he can get before the start of the season. .214.
  • Maicer Izturis was 0 for 2 and left the game soon after fouling a pitch off his foot. .222.
  • Kevin Pillar was 0 for 4 with a strikeout. He did make a nice catch in RF. .152.

In a minor league game, R.A. Dickey went 8 innings, allowing 9 hits, 4 earned, with 5 strikeouts. 3 of the runs scored in the 8th inning. He threw 102 pitches, so he should be ready for the season now. Casey Janssen also threw in the game, allowing 1 hit, 2 strikeouts, on 17 pitches in his scoreless inning, his first work of the spring.

Tomorrow the Jays host the Tigers and the game is on TV. Todd Redmond gets the start.

SB Nation Featured Video