Opening Day Roster Revealed

Your 2014 Blue Jays Opening Day catcher. - Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

The first big decision of the spring has been made as Erik Kratz has been sent down to minor league camp. Kratz was the favourite to get the backup job and catch R.A. Dickey, but it turns out the Blue Jays though differently (shocker). Here's the confirmation:

Thole, a 27-year-old left-handed hitter appeared in 45 games last year with Toronto hitting .175. It'd be interesting to hear if R.A. Dickey got any input on the decision considering this backup role is essentially a personal catching job for the knuckleballer. It's likely Thole will start opening day in Tampa Bay as Dickey will be starting this game. Kratz had been more impressive this March after coming over from Philadelphia, but it wasn't enough to get him a big league job.

UPDATE

A bunch of other huge news just dropped, but this guy has a quiz in 3 minutes so prepare for a bunch of tweets with no insight!

SB Nation Featured Video

In This Article

Teams
Players