Brett Lawrie homers, Jays beat Yankees

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Yankees 6 Blue Jays 10

Lots of offense today.

Happy Thoughts:

  • Relievers did great. Steve Delabar, Brett Cecil, Aaron Loup, Aaron Sanchez, Ryan Tepera and Bobby Korecky each pitched a scoreless inning.
  • Melky Cabrera was 3 for 4, with a double. .452. He's hit everything hard this spring, maybe he'll be the player we hoped to see last year.
  • Jose Bautista was 2 for 4, with a double. .353.
  • Adam Lind was 2 for 5, with a double. .373.
  • Brett Lawrie was 2 for 4, a double and a home run. ..346.
  • Ryan Goins was 1 for 3, with a double and a walk. His second extra base hit of the spring. He hit a hard line drive out too and turned a very nice double play in the 9th.172. I think that was the best game at the plate I've seen from him.

Less Happy Thoughts:

  • Edwin Encarnacion took a pitch off the forearm and left the game. He was smiling and gave a thumbs up when he left the field but it is worrying.

This is where I won't mention that Alex has lied to us several times in the past. But let's pretend we believe this one.

  • R.A. Dickey was hit hard in his last spring appearance. 3 innings, 7 hits, 6 earned, 4 walks and 2 strikeouts. He was planned for a short outing, to get ready for the season, but I'd have been happier without all the hits. The plate umpire did seem to be having some troubles calling the knuckleball. I'm not gong to worry about him.

The Jays play the Phillies tomorrow, the game is on MLB.tv, but not Sportsnet. Drew Hutchison gets his last start of the spring. After tomorrow's game, they fly up to beautiful Montreal, to play two games at ugly Olympics Stadium