Brandon Morrow Shaky as Blue Jays Lose 6-4 to Pirates

Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 4 Pirates 6

This was the first Blue Jays spring game this year only available on audio, so here's what you may have missed.

What You Need To Know

  • Brandon Morrow sounds like he made some good pitches, but wasn't consistent enough in his three innings of work. Some hit batters, wild pitches, and hanging sliders led to five earned runs and six hits for the right hander. He also gave up a home run to former Blue Jay Travis Snider.
  • Chris Getz continued to impress, hitting the ball hard all day and driving in Dioner Navarro with an RBI single in the fourth inning.
  • Sergio Santos had a nice first appearance of work this spring, pitching a clean fourth inning.
  • Jonathan Diaz supposedly made an incredible play at shortstop in the fourth inning, that made Mike Wilner get a little too excited about a Spring Training game.
  • Edwin Encarnacion had a two-run double in the third inning off Duke Welker scoring Diaz and Steve Tolleson.
  • Dioner Navarro had a nice game getting a single in the second and a walk in the fourth inning, which turned into a run when Chris Getz singled him home. He walked again in the fifth inning.
  • Top prospect Aaron Sanchez came into the game for the eighth inning getting three quick outs including a strikeout. He went back out for the ninth getting three more easy outs, including another punch-out. It sounds like his stuff was solid today, forcing a lot of weak contact from the Pittsburgh hitters.
  • It was my first time listening in to the radio broadcast this season with Mike Wilner and Joe Siddall calling the action today. I generally avoid listening to Wilner on Jays Talk (for obvious reasons), but I enjoyed him doing play-by-play, even if he got way too excited about a Spring Training game. Siddall was good as well, not sounding too cliché with his analysis and offering some good insight.

Tomorrow at 1:00pm the second half of this home-and-home set takes place in Bradenton with Mark Buehrle going up against Gerrit Cole. Feeling some déjà vu? That exact pitching matchup took place last Friday with the Blue Jays winning 4-2 behind two RBI's from Colby Rasmus.