FanPost

Things MLB Fans (of all teams) Need to Stop Doing

You see it every year. The overreacting fans. The ones who don't have a clue as to what they're talking about. The ones that try so hard to be an expert. The ones that... you know what? Just read the list. This is in no particular order.

  • Declaring a World Series title after every win. The earlier in the season, the worse this is. No team in MLB history has ever gone or probably ever will go 162-0. Yes, you won that game, but don't think it's a bit early to declare yourselves premature champions? The media did this to the Blue Jays in 2013, and look where that landed them. But, to show that I'm not a pessimist, I'm equally annoyed by the opposite...
  • Declaring the season over after every loss. Just like no team will ever go 162-0, no team will ever go 0-162 either (Sorry, Ian Kinsler).
  • Confusing pessimism with realism. I hate when people make pessimistic claims (such as "this team isn't going anywhere!" after an extra inning loss) then claim to be realistic.
  • Waving the white flag when a division rival gets a much-sought after pitcher. Yes, the Yankees got Tanaka. Yes, the Orioles got Jimenez. But does that mean the Blue Jays' winning hopes are over? Not by a longshot. Tanaka and Jimenez will do well for their teams, but by no means are their starts translated into automatic wins.
  • Asking a certain player on your team to be traded or released after ONE bad game. In EVERY sport, EVERY athlete is bound to have a bad game. If every team released players just for having a bad game... nobody would be left.
  • Fans of first place teams acting like their team is in last place. That is, when a team is in first place in their division yet they're still crying for help in whatever position, or, as stated above, thinking every loss will magically bump them from first place to last.
  • "He's a professional athlete, so he should be tough about it and take what comes his way." Hating players/teams is okay. Critizing a given player/team's gameplay is also okay. What ISN'T okay is attacking a player personally. You can't expect to launch a personal attack an athlete of any sport, and expect them to be perfectly fine with it just because they're professional athletes. Sometimes we forget that athletes are people too --- I should know, I'm one myself.
  • Misinterpreting the definition of "choking". Fans of ALL sports are guilty of this. If you had a commanding lead for the first 8 2/3 innings, then somehow blow it before getting that final out, that's choking. If you were losing the entire game, and had no real chance of getting back into it, that's NOT choking.
  • Fans of low payroll teams bragging about their low payroll. We get it. A high payroll doesn't guarantee you a World Series win. But it may come as a shock to these people that - (gasp!) - a low payroll doesn't either. There is no award for team with lowest payroll. Q: If two teams whose total salaries are on opposite ends of the scale meet in the World Series, who wins the World Series?
    A: Simple. The team that is the first to win four out of the seven games.

    Alright, I think that'll do for now. If you noticed anything I may have missed, please feel free to add it!