Who's up, Who's down: Blue Jays pitchers

Sergio - Abelimages

We aren't quite a full two weeks into the season but let's take a look at how the Jays pitchers are doing. At 5-4 things are going pretty good, but the pitching has been up and down. The starters have a 4.50 ERA and have allowed batters a .276/.343/.411 line. Relievers had a 3.48 ERA and allowed batters a.252/.360/.357 line, with 36 strikeouts in 31 innings.

Pitchers

Arrow_around_3_medium

R.A. Dickey

R.A. has had two starts, one terrible (5 innings, 5 hits, 6 earned, 6 walks, 4 k) and one very good (6.2, 5 hits, 0 earned, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts). He talked about having a 'dead arm' time to start the season and said he is better now. He's 39, even as a knuckleball pitcher, he's going to be up and down, he's only going to be 100% healthy some of the time.

Arrow_up_3

Mark Buehrle

2 good stats, the first was excellent (8.2 shutout innings,4 hits, 1 walk, 11 k, when was the last time Buehrle struck out 11). His second start wasn't good, but sometimes getting lucky works too (5.2, 8 hits but just one run). Our improved defense should help him out.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Brandon Morrow

This is going to sound like a recording, he had one bad start (5 innings, 7 hits, 4 earned, 1 walk, 4 k) in a loss to the Rays. Then yesterday's start was very good, until he ran out of gas in the 6th. 9 strikeouts in 6 innings is what we used to expect from Brandon.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Drew Hutchison

Like the others, he had a good start, his first one against theRays (5.1 shutout innings 3 hits, 3 walks, 4 k) and then a terrible one against the Yankees (3.1, 6 hits, 6 earned, 3 walks and 6 strikeouts). He is going to have to throw more strikes. 6 walks in 8.2 total innings is not a recipe for success.

Arrow_down_3

Dustin McGowan

He only had the one start, so he didn't get a chance to have the good start to go with his bad one. I'm hoping that will be tomorrow in Baltimore. His one start was terrible, 2.2 innings, 8 hits, 4 earned, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts. It is too bad he couldn't have had a couple of weeks in Buffalo to sort things out.

Red-cross-icon-1_medium

Casey Janssen

On the DL, shouldn't be out for too much longer.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Steve Delabar

He has been in 5 games already, course he only pitched to one batter yesterday, glad to hear he is only bruised. His first couple of appearances weren't good, he gave up a run in each. In his last 3, he didn't allow a base runner. Batters hit .200/.250/.267 against him. in total.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Aaron Loup

He's been in 4 games, 4.1 innings, 2 hits, 2 earned, 3 walks, 4 k. One of the 3 walks was intentional.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Brett Cecil

Brett has picked up from last year. He's pitched in 4 games, allowed 3 hits and 2 walks, in 3.1 innings. He also has 5 strikeouts. It doesn't add up to the best batting line against, .231/.333/.462. No earned runs against, but you'd like better than a .795 OPS against. He also has a save.

Arrow_up_3

Sergio Santos

He has 3 saves, but 2 of them were of the white knuckle variety. Only the last one was a clean inning. He struck out the side against the Astros Tuesday. I'm hoping that is a good sign for the future. He does have 8 strikeouts in his 3.1 innings, as well as 3 hits and 3 walks. Batters hit .231/.375/.385 against him.

Arrow_down_3

Esmil Rogers

Esmil has pitched in 4 games, 5.1 innings, 6 hits, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts. His 3 earned came all in one game. The .286/.375/.476 line isn't good.

Arrow_up_3

Todd Redmond

He only pitched in 2 games, 5.1 innings, 4 hits (all singles), 2 walks, 6 strikeouts. He's been really good in that long relief role.

Arrow_up_3

Neil Wagner

Called up yesterday and pitched 2 perfect innings and had 3 strikeouts.

Arrow_down_3

Jeremy Jeffress

Gone Gone Gone