Maicer Izturis Likely Needs Surgery, Out 4 to 6 Months

Brian Blanco

The Blue Jays worst fears have come true in the case of Maicer Izturis' injured leg. After falling down the dugout steps in Baltimore this weekend, it now seems like he is heading towards surgery and a long road to recovery. Here's the tweet from Arash Madani that brought the bad news:

Izturis had impressed so far this year, hitting .286 in 11 games brining some stability to the middle infield that had been dealt a blow by Jose Reyes' early-season DL stint. He'll seek a second opinion, but it appears surgery is inevitable and the middle infield will feature Jonathan Diaz, Munenori Kawasaki, and Ryan Goins until Reyes is ready to return. It also means a 40-man spot will be opened up to allow Kawasaki to join Toronto without another player needing to be removed to make room.