Bullpen blows another one, Jays lose to Orioles

And he was just out. - Tom Szczerbowski

Orioles 11 Blue Jays 4

It's going to be a short recap, because the night took a surprising turn to the bar and, it's late and I've had a couple.

Anyway, it was Brett Cecil's turn to blow up tonight. It seems like each guy in the bullpen is taking a turn at a blow up and Cecil has been so amazing this year, that well he deserves a turn at being lousy.

Brett cam into the game with the Jays up by a run and a runner on second. He's been so good that I just figured he was going to get out of it. But....Cecil walked his first batter and then, after a double steal, he intentionally walked Nelson Cruz. I'm not a big fan of the intentional walk and walking someone in front of Chris Davis seems especially dumb. Davis doubled, going the other way with the pitch to beat the shift. 2 runs score and suddenly we are behind. Adam Jones was next up and he doubled, and another run scored. Out comes Cecil, and in comes Esmil Rogers. He gives up a single, 2 more runs score, to make a total of 4 earned runs for Cecil. His ERA jumped from 0.00 to 4.15 in the space of a few minutes. That was pretty much the game.

Esmil gave up 4 more runs in the 8th and that was really it for the game.

Drew Hutchison deserved better. He pitched 6 innings, allowed 6 hits, 2 earned, 1 walk and struck out 9. A great start.

On offense, we had homers from Dioner Navarro and Colby Rasmus.

Jays of the Day are Hutchison (.151 WPA) and Rasmus (.121).

Suckage goes to Cecil (-.525) and Rogers (-.090).

Who thought our bullpen would be the problem this year?>