Blue Jays lose home opener

Halladay throwing the first pitch - Tom Szczerbowski

Yankees 7 Blue Jays 3

Dustin McGowan's first start didn't go the way we would have liked. He seemed a little over amped or something. Maybe he got into Brett Lawrie's Red Bull. Or maybe he was just thrilled to be starting the home opener. He went 2.2, allowed 8 hits, 4 earned, 1 walks with 3 strikeouts. He did have some bad luck, there were some soft hits that just missed fielders. But then he had some hard hit balls find gloves. I'm sure his next start will go better.

Masahiro Tanaka was pretty much as good as advertised. He went 7 innings allowing 6 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned, with no walks and 8 strikeouts. Melky Cabrera hit a home run off him to lead off the first inning. And we scored 2 more in the second, on a Jonathan Diaz bases loaded single, bringing home Dioner Navarro and Brett Lawrie, who had singles and moved to 2nd and 3rd on a Mark Teixiera error. It gave us a short lived lead, but the Yankees scored 2 in the third to jump ahead again and then added another run in each of the 4th, 8th and 9th.

With Dustin coming out of the game early, we used a good part of our bullpen. Aaron Loup gave up a run in his 1.1 innings. Todd Redmond went 1.2 scoreless. Brett Cecil had a scoreless 1.1. Steve Delabar gave up a run in his inning and Jeremy Jeffress gave up a run in the 9th, off 3 hits (but no walks, a small step up).

Proving we aren't the only team that gets guys injured, Mark Teixiera game out of the game in the second with a hamstring strain.

We only had 6 hits in total, 2 for Edwin Encarnacion, and one each for Navarro, Lawrie, Diaz and Cabrera (the homer).

Jay of the Day is Diaz (.103 WPA). He's quickly becoming a favorite.

Suckage goes to McGowan (- .299), Adam Lind (-.164) and Colby Rasmus (-.102).

It was great to see Roy Halladay throw out the first pitch (as much as it would be better if he was in the rotation.

We get another shot at the Yankees tomorrow at 1:00 Eastern. R.A. Dickey gets his second start (it has to be better than his first, right?) and Michael Pineda makes his first start as a Yankee, after sitting out the last two seasons with labrum surgery.

We tallied up 1779 comments in our two gamethreads. Pikachu picks up his 3rd win of the season, with an impressive 160 comments.

# Commenter # Comments
6 MapleMan 96
7 Tom Dakers 89
8 MjwW 89