Blue Jays recall Neil Wagner, Option Marcus Walden

Neil Wagner - USA TODAY Sports

Sometimes, ok, often, I don't understand the moves the Blue Jays make.

They decide they have to get rid of Jeremy Jeffress. They want to get rid of him so badly that they do it too soon to be able to call up anyone on 40-man roster, so they add Marcus Walden to the 40-man, call him up and then option him back to the minors, without using him. Seems to be a waste of an option year for Walden but, who knows, maybe the Jays will call him up again. They really should have kept Jeffress around for a few more days. He could have sat in the bullpen unused, as well as Walden.

Anyway, nice to have Neil Wagner back. I like guys that throw hard. Here are his numbers from last year:

Year Age Tm W L ERA G SV IP H ER HR BB IBB SO ERA+ WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB Awards
2013 29 TOR 2 4 3.79 36 0 38.0 39 16 5 13 1 33 110 1.368 9.2 1.2 3.1 7.8 2.54
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 4/9/2014.

Wagner pitched twice for the Bisons, this season, throwing 2.1 innings, allowing just 1 hit, with 4 strikeouts and getting 2 saves.