Erik Kratz and Neil Wagner re-join Blue Jays, Chad Jenkins optioned, and Dioner Navarro placed on inactive list

Justin K. Aller

The NEXUS Card, which greatly reduces time and pain at the border and at airports, has easily been the best $50 purchase I have made lately. With the card, which is valid for five years, I am able to enter an expedited line in Canadian and United States airports, skip immigration lines in the two countries, and use dedicated lanes (and bridges) between the two countries.

I truly hope Erik Kratz and Chad Jenkins have signed up for it.

On Wednesday afternoon, the Blue Jays announced four transactions that affects their active roster. Catcher Erik Kratz was recalled to replace Dioner Navarro, who was placed on the bereavement / family emergency list, and reliever Neil Wagner was recalled to replace Chad Jenkins, who is quickly becoming 2014's Mike McCoy.

Navarro will be required to remain inactive for a minimum of three days, but must be re-activated after a week. We wish all the best to him and his family. Kratz was just optioned a couple days ago, but the 10-day rule does not apply in this instance.

Wagner, being a Reliever With Options, was sent down to Buffalo on April 26, despite putting up fine numbers with the Blue Jays. During his latest minor league stint, he made just three appearances with the Bisons around a trip onto the minor league seven-day disabled list in early May.

Jenkins, also a Reliever With Options, has already been involved in seven transactions this season:

  • 2014-03-16: Toronto Blue Jays optioned RHP Chad Jenkins to Buffalo Bisons.
  • 2014-04-26: Toronto Blue Jays recalled RHP Chad Jenkins from Buffalo Bisons.
  • 2014-05-02: Toronto Blue Jays optioned RHP Chad Jenkins to Buffalo Bisons.
  • 2014-05-03: Toronto Blue Jays recalled RHP Chad Jenkins from Buffalo Bisons.
  • 2014-05-08: Toronto Blue Jays optioned RHP Chad Jenkins to Buffalo Bisons.
  • 2014-05-12: Toronto Blue Jays recalled RHP Chad Jenkins from Buffalo Bisons.
  • 2014-05-14: Toronto Blue Jays optioned RHP Chad Jenkins to Buffalo Bisons.
By contrast, by today's date back in 2011, Mike McCoy had only gone through five transactions en route to being optioned and recalled six times each, spending seven stints with the big club. Of course, that transactions list doesn't even include Jenkins' "phantom callup" in early April when the people managing the major league Toronto Blue Jays professional baseball club forgot a very simple roster transactions rule. Jenkins ended up spending the bulk of April in triple-A, but caught up to McCoy's transaction rate with a flurry of moves this month. Graphically:
Jenkins_mccoy_medium
Although the proximity of Buffalo and Toronto means Jenkins cannot duplicate the over 21,000 miles McCoy travelled in transaction-related flights, he has a chance of being shuttled back-and-forth between triple-A and the major leagues more times.