Friday Afternoon Blue Jays quick hits: Ricky Romero, Dioner Navarro's return, rotation

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

A quick post before the long weekend

Down at Coca-Cola Field in Buffalo today, Bisons manager Gary Allenson did something very strange. He took out starter Ricky Romero after he threw 2.2 innings of no-hit ball in his start against the Gwinnett Braves in game 1 of a doubleheader. Why the hell would Allenson do that?

Oh.

The final line is pitiful: 2.2 IP, 2 ER, 9 BB, 2 K, 74 pitches, 25 strikes. That's nine walks on eight outs. Romero started the game with a leadoff walk, but got out of it by inducing Joey Terdoslavich (teehee) to ground into a double play. But in the second inning, Romero gave up five straight two-out walks, and was taken out after walking two straight (also with two outs) in the third.

I don't know what can be done with Romero. This season he has worked with a new manager and pitching coach in Buffalo and yet he still looks like the woeful figure we saw last year. Entering today's game, he owned a 6.00 ERA through six games, walking 17.6% of the batters he's faced (a little arithmetic shows that after this evening's appearance, that number has jumped to 21.6%) . Remember, this is triple-A. I think we've mentioned it for a long time now, but perhaps truly this is the time for him to just leave the Toronto Blue Jays organization. Maybe go home for a breather. Maybe go to another place to pitch. Maybe start throwing with his right hand Maybe start taking batting practice or something. As a human, it's been hard to see him struggle like this.

Other Notes

  • According to the Blue Jays beat, John Gibbons has announced that Dioner Navarro will return from his emergency leave on Saturday, meaning that Erik Kratz will likely be looking for a Dallas-to-Buffalo flight after tonight's game.
  • Just a few weeks after discussing the possible use of a six-man rotation, the Blue Jays will actually be using just four starters in the next week. The off day on Monday (between the Rangers and Red Sox series) allows them to just skip Dustin McGowan's spot. With McGowan added to the relief corps (and he should be ready to pitch by Tuesday), the Blue Jays have nine relievers on the roster right now, so expect another roster move soon.
  • Chris Getz had discussed retirement with John Gibbons shortly after his DFA after completing his degree (I wonder what he majored in). Earlier, MLB Daily Dish reported a statement from Getz, who announced that he wanted to start a family, Gibbons mentioned this afternoon that a child is indeed on its way.