Victoria Day Weekend 2014 Links

Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

It's been a nice 3 game stretch for the Jays as they give the battered Rangers a hard time.  The only good thing for Texas was the smooth kid who played the hidden ball trick on some ladies.

JAYS LINKS

Toronto Blue Jays’ Marcus Stroman says he’s ready to start if the call comes | National Post
If he is the chosen one, Marcus Stroman says he is ready to start again.

Did J.A. Happ-en to Find a Relevation in Pitching?
J.A. Happ has been pitching better in two of his last three starts. Justin Jay breaks down whether this run is sustainable.

Toronto Blue Jays’ Dustin McGowan at peace with decision to go back to the bullpen | National Post
When Dustin McGowan walked into the manager’s office, his bosses asked how he was feeling. When he walked out, he was feeling relieved to be a reliever again.

Brett Lawrie Doesn’t Like To Think | Mop Up Duty
What’s with Lawrie’s reluctance to fire a few neurons in his brain when he’s playing baseball? He makes it sound like one has to be a rocket scientist to have the brain-power required to play second base with all of “these different things.” More concerning is the fact that Lawrie professes he’s at his best when he’s not thinking at all. This implies that the third base position doesn’t require a lot of thinking. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The Blue Jay Hunter: Flashback Friday: Position Players to Pitch for the Blue Jays
The definitive list of every position player to pitch for the Toronto Blue Jays.

Former Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia still bitter about treatment in Toronto | Toronto Star
J.P. Arencibia, now with the Texas Rangers, says the Toronto media painted him as the Jays’ “villain” and hastened the team’s decision to release him.

MLB LINKS

Chris Getz Retires, Outlasting Teahen and Fields | FanGraphs Baseball
Chris Getz announced his retirement yesterday. The former White Sox and Royals second baseman was outrighted by the Blue Jays after 28 plate appearances (16 wRC+).

Financial Cost Of Tommy John Surgery To Young Pitchers | FanGraphs Baseball
Jose Fernandez. Patrick Corbin. Jarrod Parker. A.J. Griffin. Luke Hochevar. Matt Moore. Brandon Beachy. Cory Luebke. Bruce Rondon. Bobby Parnell. Kris Medlen. Ivan Nova. And now Martin Perez.

In defense of the strikeout (or how I learned to stop loving groundballs) | FOX Sports on MSN
"Relax, all right? Don't try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls — it's more democratic." — Crash Davis, in 1988's classic baseball flick "Bull Durham." This piece of advice from Kevin Costner's character has been translated into nearly every ballpark in America, as fans and commentators alike lament a struggling pitcher's inability to just throw the ball over the plate.

The Old Mark Buehrle’s New Trick | FanGraphs Baseball
Dave observed the other day on Twitter that, over the past calendar year, Mark Buehrle has been one of the better and more valuable starting pitchers in baseball.

Quarterly Report: Masahiro Tanaka’s Dominance | FanGraphs Baseball
Roughly a quarter of the 2014 season is in the books, and the sample sizes are creeping toward a representative level. Over the next couple of weeks, let’s take a somewhat deeper look at some of this season’s more noteworthy players and performances to date.

MLB Wants an International Draft. Here’s Why It Shouldn’t Happen. – The Hardball Times
Major League Baseball established its amateur draft in 1965, nearly a century after the birth of the National League. It has been so successful that MLB has said that expanding to an international draft is a major priority. But would that be a good thing?

Earl Weaver and the Malleable Process – The Hardball Times
I’ve always wondered how the course of baseball history would have been changed if the word sabermetrics was something other than “sabermetrics.”

Just How Rare Is a 14-Pitch Plate Appearance? – The Hardball Times
Yesterday, Xander Bogaerts had a 14-pitch battle with Phil Hughes. Hughes eventually won, as Bogaerts hit a weak fly ball to center field. But it got me wondering just how rare of an event this was. The venerable Jeff Zimmerman was kind enough to help me find out this very thing:

Tommy John surgery all too frequent and needs to be addressed | Toronto Star
Stop the pitching carnage. Now. We know just where to start — youth baseball.

David Price Loses Cow-Milking Contest
Friday night was apparently Dairy Night in Anaheim, so the stadium held a cow-milking contest before the Rays-Angels game. The two competitors: David Price and Luis Jimenez. Who would be the best milker?

TODAY IN HOLDING GRUDGES HISTORY

Baseball History May 18th - National Pastime - Baseball History
1973 Bill North’s bat sails onto the infield when he swings and misses the first pitch thrown by Royals rookie reliever Doug Bird, who will be shocked when the A’s center fielder, retrieving his bat, unexpectedly goes to the mound and begins to pummel him. The Oakland outfielder, who will be ejected, suspended for three-days, and receive a $100 fine for initiating the brawl, was retaliating against the 23 year-old KC right-hander for an incident that occurred in a Class A game played in Waterloo (IA) three seasons earlier.

Latest News