Buffalo Bisons Recap: Offense Returns

Christian Petersen

The Bisons offensive was resurrected for yesterday's afternoon game against Lehigh Valley. The team put together 7 runs on 16 hits and they forced Lehigh starter Dave Buchanan from the game after just one inning. Every man in the lineup picked up a hit for the herd in support of veteran Shawn Hill as the game ended in a rout 7-1. It is important to extend congratulations out to Hill, who on Friday night had his second baby girl and was able to throw well in her first time at the ballpark.

The dominant win left manager Gary Allenson in a joking mood after the game. "Shawn just had his second baby girl two days ago and if he is going to pitch like that after he has a kid he might as well have one every five days," he said. Hill allowed only one run over seven strong innings in which the IronPigs managed just four singles. Not only did the offensive come out in full support of Hill but relievers Rob Rasmussen and Ryan Tepera finished off the final two innings by striking out the last six batters in order.

Offensively it is tough to find the key guys because of how well rounded the attack was, but Jared Goedert's two run home run in the first inning helped cataylze the scoring. Munenori Kawasaki extended his hitting streak to nine games with a second inning double that was ripped down the left field line. Last year's AA player of the year for the Jays Brad Glenn also had a big day going 2-4 with a double and a walk. "He's a guy that deserved a shot to be here this year," said Allenson "it was a numbers game when he went back". He has not been the hottest hitter of late and this was really his first good game at the plate since getting called up. With Anthony Gose and Kevin Pillar now in Toronto Glenn has a shot to play every day for the herd. "Right now it is a real grind for me," said Glenn but the signs are encouraging. The game was his third straight with a hit and his double was scorched the opposite way to the right field wall.

The Bisons will look to keep the bats alive in a 1:00 start Monday with Chad Jenkins on the mound. The righty will be making his second start of the season as the team attempts to take a lead in the series now tied at a game apiece.