The Blue Jays in April: Relief Pitchers

Gibby comes out with a gun in his hand "Throw strikes or I'll shoot" - Bruce Kluckhohn-USA TODAY Sports

The relievers were 3-6 with 6 saves, a 5.03 ERA, in 91.1 innings. The allowed a .254/.357/.423 batting line.  They walked 5.1 per 9 and struck out 9.4. The relievers were great for the first 3 weeks of the season, and then suddenly forgot how to throw strikes.

Sergio Santos: 0-1, 8.31 ERA, 5 saves, 2 blown saves. In 11 games he's thrown 8.2 innings, allowed 9 hits, 1 home run, 9 walks with 16 strikeouts. Batters hit .273/.429/.485 against him. Not really the numbers you'd like to see from your closer. 6 of his 8 earned runs came in two games, so 2 of his 11 appearances were meltdowns. He's got to throw strikes, when he does, he's great.  I suppose we could say that about a lot of guys.

Aaron Loup: 1-1, 4.09 ERA, 3 holds, 1 blown save. In 10 games he threw 11 innings, allowed 3 hits, 8 walks, 8 strikeouts. Batters hit .088/.295/.147 against him.  He had that one really bad game, giving up 3 walks and a double. That was his only meltdown of the month, 3 of his 5 earned runs came in that game. He has given up too many walks  (just copy and paste that line in for each of the relievers).  There is lots of talk about him being overworked, but he worked consecutive days only once.

Steve Delabar: 2-0, 4.22 ERA, 5 holds. In 13 games he pitched 10.2 innings, allowed 4 hits, 6 walks, 6 strikeouts. Batters hit .167/.286/.278 against him. He gave up 1 earned run in 3 games and 2 in one game, the game in Minnesota that he walked a couple of batters and then Santos came in to walk three more. He's not getting the strikeouts we expect from him, 5.1/9, last year he struck out 12.6/9. Last year his BABIP against was .338, this year it is .167. I'm not expecting that to stay so low, but that's how he's remained effective without the strikeouts.

Brett Cecil: 0-2, 5.23, 1 save, 7 holds and 1 blown save. In 13 games, he's pitched 10.1 innings, allowing 9 hits, 9 walks, 18 strikeouts. Batters hit .225/.367/.325. It took until April 24th before he gave up his first earned run, now he's given up 6 in his last 3 appearances 4 on the 24th and 2 more on the 29th, picking up losses in both games.  I don't know what's going on with him. Like all the rest, he has walked way too many, 7.8/9 innings. He's pitching on consecutive days just twice.

Esmil Rogers: 0-0, 6.28 ERA. No wins, saves or holds, which should tell you all you need about what Gibby thinks of him. In 11 games, he's pitched 14.1 innings, allowing 20 hits, 4 home runs, 4 walks and 16 strikeouts. Batters hit .323/.373/.548 against him. He's given up more than 1 earned run in 3 of his appearances. The number that stands out is the 4 home runs allowed.

Todd Redmond: 0-2, 2.45 ERA. In 9 appearances he pitched 18.1 innings, he's allowed 18 hits, 1 home run, 5 walks and 15 strikeouts. Batters hit .273/.311/.455 against him.  He's been handy to have around, he's pitched the most innings of any of our relievers and he's been pretty good.  He threw 68 pitches on April 17th, which I thought was an impressive display of how little Gibby cared about his arm. He is yet to pitch in a game that the Jays have won, which also shows what Gibby thinks of him.

Neil Wagner: 0-0, 3.12, 5 holds. In 9 appearances he threw 8.2 innings he allowed 6 hits, 3 walks and 6 strikeouts. Batters hit .182/.263/.273 against him. He never had more than 1 earned run in any of his appearances.  For all that, his prize was a ticket to Buffalo. I'm sure he'll be back soon.

J.A. Happ: 0-0, 4.15 ERA. In 3 games he's thrown 4.1 innings he's allowed 3 hits, 1 home run, 5 walks with 4 strikeouts. Batters hit .200/.400/.400 against him. Our bullpen is so overworked, Happ has throw 3 times in 4 weeks. Starts Monday. That should be interesting.

Jeremy Jeffress: 0-0, 10.80 ERA. In 3 games he pitched 3.1 innings he allowed 8 hits, 3 walks with 4 strikeouts. Batters hit .533/.619/.600 against him and now he's in the Brewers system.

Chad Jenkins: 0-0, 16.20. Pitched in 1 game, right after he was called up, gave up, 3 hits,  2 home runs while getting 2 strikeouts and we haven't seen him since.