Bisons Recap: Offence lifts Jenkins in a return to the rotation

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

The Bisons offence stayed hot as they picked up the 8-4 win in game three of four against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs. It was a tight contest throughout, but the big hits the lineup had been missing were finally delivered. The team was working in support of starter Chad Jenkins, who was making his first start of the year for the herd in an effort to get his arm stretched out for a potentially bigger work load in Toronto.

The top of the batting order did outstanding work as they were able to manufacture a first inning run for the second straight game. Darin Mastroianni did what he loves to do getting on base early and swiping a bag. Throughout the game he and Ryan Goins were both able to setup the big hitters to do damage. A three-run double in the fifth from Brad Glenn followed in the sixth by a two run double from Jared Goedert gave the herd a comfortable lead. Both Glenn and Goedert have been instrumental in the return of the Bisons offence. A 65 -pitch limit on Jenkins kept the righty from going deeper in the game. He was forced out after just 4.2 innings, with a two-run homerun by Leandro Castro serving as his only mistake.

John Stilson finished off the game with two shutout innings. He did have more issues with his command but he continued to battle.

"He gets caught trying to throw it too hard instead of pitching it sometimes," said manager Gary Allenson, but despite seeming frustrated on the mound he was able to overcome his struggles and get key outs. He walked only one batter in his two innings and in the end his overpowering stuff was too much for the IronPigs.

For Lehigh, the Phillies top prospect Maikel Franco was able to breakthrough for a monster homerun off of Ryan Rowland-Smith in the sixth. This was a good sign for the Phillies who have been searching for a reliable option at third base for some time now. The IronPigs will throw righty Barry Enright for the final game of the series against Marcus Stroman who will be making his return to Buffalo. The 1:05 start will be the last game of an eight game home stand for the Bisons.