Jays Sweep Red Sox

Jared Wickerham

Blue Jays 7 Red Sox 2

Gotta love a sweep in Boston. It seems like years since we've swept them.

Ok, well, maybe not years...still I like it.

Another game where we scored early and often.

  • Back to back home runs in the first for Melky Cabrera and Jose Bautista.
  • 5 runs in the second. Singles from Steve Tolleson and Kevin Pillar, followed by a nice sac bunt by Anthony Gose. I'm not a big fan of the bunt, especially early in the game, but he put down a nice one. A 2-run single for Jose Reyes. Cabrera walked. Then an opposite field RBI single from Bautista. Another RBI single for Bautista and a ground out from Brett Lawrie to score another run.

Jon Lester wasn't good, though he settled down after the second. We had 14 hits in all. 3 each for Bautista and, our DH, Pillar. 2 for Encarnacion and Tolleson. Melky had the home run and 2 walks. The only starter not to hit was Dioner Navarro.

Mark Buehrle had some troubles early, everything he threw was up in the strike zone (or above the strike zone) and he gave up a run in each of the first and second innings, but he followed that with 5 scoreless inning innings. It all seemed to just click for him after the second inning.

Dustin McGowan pitched a clean 8th and 9th.

Edwin made two of the nicest plays you'll ever see at first base, one to rob David Ortiz of a double in the 8th, which they both had a smile over.

Jays of the Day are Melky (.103 WPA), Bautista (.164). I'm going to give an honorary mention to Buehrle.

No Suckage Jays.

So there is your statement game.  Really a statement series. I've always loved beating the Red Sox and love beating them all the move since idiot Farrell jumped ship.

The FanGraph is a nice gentle ski hill.

Source: FanGraphs

Our GameThreads had 1758 comments (and counting, I'm sure as I type this there are more going up). T-Ball had a statement game, just pulling out the win.

# Commenter # Comments
2 Damaso's Burnt Shirt 139
4 TFSML 99
5 radivel 81