Blue Jays cut ties with Rogers (Esmil, that is)

Brian Blanco

Surprise.

Well sort of.

The Blue Jays have DFAed Esmil Rogers to make room, on the active roster, for Liam Hendriks. I really figured it would be Rob Rasmussen that would be sent back to Buffalo but Gregor Chisholm had a story up saying the Jays were tiring of Rogers, and I wondered if the Jays planted that.

Rogers, as you know, has been terrible this season. He has a 6.97 ERA in 20.2 innings, 28 hits, 5 home runs, 7 walks and 21 strikeouts.

Last year, he was pretty good, made 20 starts, had good streaks and bad streaks but finished with a 4.77 ERA, was terrific in June, 5 starts and a 2.27 ERA, but then in July and August he had ERAs of 7.07 and 7.66 He righted the ship in September with a 3.71 ERA. But he just can't be consistent it seems.

Coming into spring training, he was likely to get the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation, but he had a terrible spring and the Jays went with Dustin McGowan in the 5th spot. In part, Rogers' inability to pitch helped the Jays to decide to remove McGowan from the rotation. They needed another arm Gibby could trust in the pen.

This will leave the Blue Jays with 39 players on their 40-man roster, so there might be another move coming. Also it leaves us with a 7-man bullpen. I like that. We have 3 lefties; Brett Cecil, Aaron Loup and Rob Rasmussen, and 4 right-handers; Casey Janssen, Steve Delabar, Todd Redmond and McGowan.

So what are the odds something takes him off waivers? I'd imagine, if he clears waivers, he'll elect free agency.