Steve Tolleson homers, Jays beat A's

Tom Szczerbowski

A's 2 Blue Jays 3

Have I mentioned how happy I am that we have Casey Janssen back. Though the CoCo Crisp double did cause us some sweat...as well as Erik Kratz throw to third on Crisp's steal. He shouldn't have made that throw, lucky that Brett Lawrie caught it. Thanks Brett.

Liam Hendriks was....ok. He threw strikes. He was lucky, lots of fly balls, but then he's a fly ball pitcher...you are going to get fly balls. Hopefully, next time, he's a little more comfortable out there and hits his spots more.  He went 5.2, gave up just 3 hits, 3 walks with 3 strikeouts. Too many walks for a control guy. He gave up a home run to Brandon Moss. He ran out of gas in the 5th inning.  Gave up a single, a hit batter and a walk, but got out of it when Kevin Pillar beat out Jose Bautista to catch Jed Lowrie's fly out to the track in right center. Jose doesn't like to have anyone call him off a fly, but it was Pillar's play.

I figured Hendriks was done, but Gibby left him out for the 6th. He gave up a lead off walk, but got a flyout and a ground out before Aaron Loup came in to finish the inning. Loup pitched a scoreless 7th, even though he gave up singles to the first two batters of the inning.

Steve Delabar started the 8th and didn't look sharp, gave up a walk and got a pop out. Gibby brought in Brett Cecil, who gave up a single, got Yoenis Cespedes to pop out, and gave up an RBI single to Alberto Callaspo, before getting Derek Norris to strikeout.

On offense, we did just enough. Steve Tolleson had a 2-run homer in the 2nd inning. In the 3rd, Kevin Pillar led off with a double, and went to 3rd when Scott Kazmir threw to 2nd to try to pick him off and no one was there to catch the throw. Jose Reyes ground out to second to score Pillar.

That was all the scoring we'd get. We had just 6 hits. 1 each for Reyes, Bautista, Encarnacion, Lawrie, Tolleson and Pillar. Lawrie hit a line drive to left, and tried to stretch it to a double. Cepedes made a great throw to second, and Nick Punto made an even better tag, just in time to get Lawrie.

Edwin Encarnacion made 2 great plays at first base, diving for a ground ball and just beating out the runner, while dodging Loup who was running to the bag too and making a great catch on a popup down the first base line. He went a long way down the line to make the play.

This winning stuff is growing on me.

Jays of the Day are Hendriks (.227 WPA), Janssen (.169), Loup (.105) and Tolleson (.175). No Suckage Jays.

Nice to beat the team with the best record in baseball...let's do it twice more this weekend.

Source: FanGraphs

We had a nice 1766 comments in the GameThread...we'll have to try for 2000 for one of the weekend games. I'm up for the challenge, you? Kraemer_17 led us to victory. I'm not sure who had the most Aussie jokes.

# Commenter # Comments
3 Damaso's Burnt Shirt 154
6 Reyden 86
7 Tom Dakers 85