Blue Jays acquire P.J. Walters and Melky Mesa from Royals

Brad White

The Blue Jays have traded cash to get pitcher P.J. Walters and outfielder Melky Mesa from the Royals.

Walters, you might remember, was a Blue Jay for a little bit in 2011, pitching 1 inning in 1 game. Last year he made 8 starts for the Twins, with a 5.95 ERA, 39.1 innings, 51 hits, 18 walk and 22 strikeouts, He signed with the Royals as a free agent in the off-season. He's been pitching at Omaha, the Royals Triple-A team. In 10 games, 8 starts, he has a 7.97 ERA, 40.2 innings 52 hits, 19 walks and 34 strikeouts. I imagine he's minor league depth. He's right-handed and 29 years old.

Melky Mesa was in the Yankees system and played 5 games for the Yankees last year, he signed with the Royals in the off-season and has been playing in Omaha too. He has a .284/.346/.527 slash line in 23 games. He's 27, a right-handed hitter. I imagine he'll be in Buffalo, at least for a bit. He's played all 3 outfield spots.

I think they will be roster fillers at Buffalo.