Game #32 Preview: Blue Jays @ Phillies

Stro Show! - Justin K. Aller

Interleague Play continues tonight as the Blue Jays try to extend their one-game winning streak in Philadelphia before the teams go back to Toronto and play in some weird home and home thing. Former Phillies pitcher J.A. Happ gets a start this evening against current Phillies pitcher Kyle Kendrick. The Phillies are 15-14 this year with their usual blend of average young players and aging veterans. If you don't know how the Philly team lines up after seeing the Jays play them about 150 times during Spring Training, then here you go:

Screen_shot_2014-05-05_at_9.58.44_am_medium

via ESPN

Kyle Kendrick is a right-handed reliable pitcher, who's been a mainstay in the Phillies rotation since 2007. He's provided somewhere between 0-1.7 WAR each year, which has been good enough to cement a place for him in the middle of Philadelphia's solid rotation. He basically throws a sinker, cutter, and splitter inducing a ton of groundballs and not really blowing anyone away. As you can see, his sinker and splitter are pretty similar so it makes sense that a lot of hitters get crossed up and struggle to make good contact:

Brooksbaseball-chart__9__medium

Lefties have a hard time making any contact with the split-change because he locates on the outside of the zone along with the arm side movement that sinks away from them:

452718_l_ch__2013_40_14_0_20130913_medium

via www.fangraphs.com

Hopeful Lineup

Even with the solid splitter, left-handed hitters hit Kendrick much better.

  1. Jose Reyes SS
  2. Melky Cabrera LF
  3. Jose Bautista RF
  4. Edwin Encarnacion 1B
  5. Brett Lawrie 2B
  6. Juan Francisco 3B
  7. Colby Rasmus CF
  8. Erik Kratz C
  9. J.A. Happ P

Find The Link

Find the link between Kyle Kendrick and the infielder traded to Toronto to allow a man to have his dream job.