Blue Jays Recall Bobby Korecky, Option Kevin Pillar

Nick Turchiaro-USA TODAY Sports

The Blue Jays added another arm to the roster this morning, recalling Bobby Korecky from the Buffalo Bisons and optioning outfielder Kevin Pillar back down. It's likely in preparation for the return of Colby Rasmus fairly soon and the fact that the bullpen might need a little bit of help after J.A. Happ's short outing last night.

Kevin Pillar appeared in 24 games with the big league squad during Rasmus' absence hitting .243 with an OBP of .237 thanks to having no walks, but one sacrifice fly. He's proven himself to be an okay fourth or fifth outfielder, but not a lot more than that. Anthony Gose looks to get all the starts in centre field until Colby Rasmus returns from his rehab assignment.

On the flip side, Bobby Korecky returns to the Blue Jays after being DFA'ed (but not taken off the 40-man roster) to make room in Toronto for Marcus Stroman a few weeks ago. The righty has pitched 33.1 innings in Buffalo plus 1.1 in Toronto and allowed precisely one earned run, which was a solo home run. His sub-.200 BABIP definitely helps his stat line, but Korecky certainly deserves a chance to show he can be a viable part of the Blue Jays bullpen.

UPDATE (Minor Leaguer)

The beat spoke with John Gibbons who said that Kevin Pillar was the one optioned because of the lack of lefties in the upcoming games, and that another move will be made after the game today. That likely means another pitcher--the beat is guessing Korecky, but I think Chad Jenkins is certainly a possibility, having thrown so many pitches--will be sent down, likely for an outfielder like Darin MastroianniKenny Wilson is the other outfielder who is eligible for recall.

Korecky cleared optional waivers when he was sent down so he doesn't have to go through that process again within the current waiver period, which ends on July 31.