Aaron Sanchez promoted to the Buffalo Bisons

Eric Bolte-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays top prospect Aaron Sanchez has been promoted to the triple-A Buffalo Bisons, according to Sportsnet's Shi Davidi. The first round pick from 2010 has been having a good season with double-A New Hampshire, recording a 3.82 ERA (4.20 FIP) over 14 starts, allowing just under 1.4 hits and walks per inning pitched.

Sanchez, who turns 22 on Canada Day, started his double-A career strongly this season. There were a couple of rocky starts in the middle of the ride--including an outing where he was rocked for six runs in the first (only three earned, but he was taken out after reaching his inning pitch limit of 29)--but overall people who saw him with the Fisher Cats thought he looked pretty good. Sanchez has had trouble with an elevated walk rate (14%) this season, so it will be interesting to see how his stuff does against more mature triple-A hitters.

I am absolutely sure Sanchez's promotion will be a topic of discussion on this Friday's Around The Nest podcast (which you can catch right here on Bluebird Banter), where we will hear reactions from both the Fisher Cats' and Bisons' broadcasters.

This Sunday, Sanchez went 6.2 innings and struck out 7, walking just one and giving up just one run against the Erie SeaWolves, reaching 90 pitches. If he is kept on his regular rotation he is due to start this Friday against Toledo.

It's been a while--it's been two years since "the Lansing three" year--but finally, Sanchez is now just one step away from the major leagues, but he will need to be added to the 40-man roster first.

UPDATE

Mark Zwolinski of the Star reports that Sanchez will be starting this Saturday at Toledo, so head down there, Windsorites!