Blue Jays call up Liam Hendriks for tonight's start, Steve Delbar re-optioned

Tom Szczerbowski

John Lott in the National Post tell us that the Blue Jays have called up Liam Hendriks to make tonight's start against the Reds. No word on who will be making the trip back to Buffalo yet. I'd imagine it will be Steve Delabar or Chad Jenkins. Liam gets the start to give our starters am extra day of rest. Since R. A. Dickey came out of his last start with groin tightness, maybe it isn't a bad idea, though Dickey says he is fine to start tonight. I guess it isn't a bad idea to push everyone back a day, though I'd think Mark Buehrle wouldn't be too thrilled with the plan.

Also, yesterday, the Blue Jays sent out a press release saying that Ricky Romero had knee surgery to "clean out (debridement) the quadriceps tendon inflammation". He'll miss the rest of the season. Next year is the last guaranteed year on his contract. I would imagine there is no chance the Jays would be picking up the option, but he'll want to be healthy to show his best, if he has any hope of another team picking him up.

UPDATE (Minor Leaguer)

As Tom imagined, Steve Delabar was the one chosen to come off the roster for Liam Hendriks. After his re-optioning, Delabar has 72 hours to report to triple-A Buffalo, which means he could potentially miss the entire "Blue Jays Weekend" festivities down in Buffalo and miss out wearing their kickass special uniforms.

Delabar had a forgettable appearance on Thursday night against the Yankees, allowing a leadoff single then walking three batters to force in a run.

His strikezone plot from Brooks Baseball:

Location.php-pitchsel_447755_game_gid_2014_06_19_tormlb_nyamlb_1_batterx__innings_yyyyyyyyy_sp_type_1_s_type__league_mlb_cache_1_medium