PRESENTED BY 953440453_mcdonaldsclubhouse_stb

Jose Bautista named AL captain for the Home Run Derby

Joe Robbins

MLB.com had this:

Jose Bautista of the Blue Jays and Troy Tulowitzki of the Rockies have been named captains for the 20th Gillette Home Run Derby.

I'll admit, I can watch the Home Run Derby for a few minutes and then I get bored. I don't see the excitement that others do.  Add Chris Berman makes it that much tougher to watch. But, I'm glad Bautista gets this honor, he deserves it. I'd imagine he'll pick Edwin Encarnacion for his team.

And the are changing the format of the Derby:

Five players from each league will bat in the opening round, with seven outs instead of the usual 10. The player who hits the most homers in each league will automatically receive a bye to the third round (semifinals). The next two players from each league with the most homers will square off against one another in a head-to-head matchup in the second round.

Shortening the first round is a good idea, it seems to last forever. But....I'm not a fan, so the shorter the better.

And, if you are interested enough, you can vote on who makes it to the Derby.

SB Nation Featured Video

In This Article

Teams
Players