One bad inning costs us, Jays lose to Yankees

Kawasaki, taking a walk. - Tom Szczerbowski

Yankees 5 Blue Jays 3

One bad inning cost us. So no sweep.

Drew Hutchison threw 5 good innings, unfortunately he was out there for 6 innings. His bad inning was the 4th. He gave up a walk to Kelly Johnson, then an RBI double to Francisco Cervelli, then got two quick outs. Unfortunately, before he was able to get the 3rd out there was an RBI single to Jacoby Ellsbury and a 2-run Mark Teixeira home run. 3 hits, a walk and 4 runs in the inning. In his other 5 innings he allowed just 4 hits, 1 walk and no runs. He had 6 strikeouts in all, including 3 in the 6th inning.

Rob Rasmussen started the 7th inning and was terrible, 2 walks and a hit batter later, Sergio Santos was in with the bases loaded and no outs. Sergio got out of it allowing just one run on a sac fly. Todd Redmond did a nice job pitching two scoreless innings.

We didn't score enough. We had 10 hits, 3 from Jose Reyes, including a home run on the first pitch of the game and a double. 2 each for Melky Cabrera (who drove in our other 2 runs) and Munenori Kawasaki.

Anthony Gose had a particularly lousy day. He was 0 for 4 with a strikeout. And allowed 2 catchable balls to hit the turf. One a fly ball to the fence that he (a) got too close to to play off the wall (it hit the wall and bounced past him), but (b) pulled up on just short of catching. He either should have caught it (preferable) or played it properly off the wall. Then, in the 8th, there was a popup, foul near the right field line, that he got to, then pulled up an let it fall at his feet. It was mystifying. The way he's hitting, he has to make the plays in the field.

There was an interesting moment in the bottom of the 8th, we had 2 on and Adam Lind due up. The Yankees brought in lefty Matt Thornton. We figured Gibby would pitch hit for Lind, but he didn't and Lind ground out. There might be an explanation:

Tolleson would have been the choice, but I'd have put in Brad Glenn.

Jays of the Day are Reyes (.166 WPA) and Cabrera (.100). And I'm giving an honorable mention to Santos.

Suckage goes to Gose (-.171, not counting the defensive lapses), Lind (-.184 on a 0 for 4), Rasmus (-.143), Navarro (-.109 on a 1 for 4), Rasmussen (-.160) and Hutchison (-.148).

Source: FanGraphs

We had another good GameThread, 1303 comments. Spor led again, good job.

# Commenter # Comments
3 Diamond_D86 86
4 TFSML 77
5 Alan F. 74