R.A. Dickey gives up 4 home runs, Jays lose to White Sox

Tom Szczerbowski

White Sox 5 Blue Jays 4

It seems like we leave R.A. Dickey out there 2 or 3 batters too long every start. I wish Gibby would start being a little more proactive about getting him out of there when things start going downhill, or go with a strict 90 pitch ceiling for the guy, because it, at very least, seems like we don't pull him quick enough.

Anyway, tonight, Dickey had a no-hitter through 4 innings, then gave up a couple of solo homers in the 5th, one to Jose Abreu and one to Dayan Viciedo. He pitched a perfect 6th. Then came the 7th. Abreu started it off with a home run. Ok, he hits a bunch of them. Adam Dunn followed with a walk. And then Alexei Ramirez hit the White Sox 4th home run of the day. That prompted Gibby to pull him.

Of course, that 3-run 7th inning came right after the Jays had hit two solo homer of their own in the 6th. Edwin Encarnacion and Dioner Navarro went back-to-back. It seems to hurt more to give back the lead right after tying things.

We tried, in the 8th and 9th, to come back:

  • In the 8th Melky Cabrera had a one out single and Edwin hit one to the wall in right. I was cheering for Lind to pinch hit here, if he got on base, Colby Rasmus, who was going to pinch hit for Brad Glenn, could have been the tying run. Well, they didn't pinch hit an Navarro struck out.
  • In the 9th, Colby led off with a solo homer (just why I wanted Lind to pinch hit). Then, after Juan Francisco ground out, we loaded the bases on singles by Munenori Kawasaki and Anthony Gose, and, pinch hitter Lind (against a lefty) ground to third baseman Conor Gillaspie, who booted it. Tying run to second. Jose Reyes ground out, scoring one. Tying run at third. But Melky ground out and the game was over. No walk off.

Jays of the Day: Navarro gets it for a .113 WPA. Lind also had the number, .132, but that was because of the error.

Suckage goes to Dickey (-.336), Melky (-.207), and Reyes (-.180).

Source: FanGraphs

We had a very nice 1200 comments in the GameThread. Spor led the way again. Good job

# Commenter # Comments
3 spockster 95
4 Bowling_Guy25 84
5 jmarples 62