FanPost

Some thoughts on Blue Jays chasing after 60 games

20140531_ajl_bh7_126.jpg.0_standard_709.0_medium

Blue Jays have a great season so far (no jinx), I'm lovin it.

Lineup

Mostly the credits are going to the great lineup. In opening day, there were guys in this lineup, we already knew what they bring to this team like Bautista, Edwin, Lind. Some other were in question like Melky, Lawrie, Rasmus, Navvaro and some other with really low expectations like Ryan Goins. After a great struggle at bat early on, everything came in order to form the best lineup right now in the whole MLB leading with 84 HRs (1st), 546 hits (2nd), 304 runs (2nd), .333 0BP (3rd).

Great respect to every single guy in this team! Totally appreciate the effort and the passion!

But we also need to give credits in two guys. Gibby and Seitzer.

I can't measure or split the great work. But I can mention three aspects of their plan, which made this lineup really robust.

They signed Francisco from Milwaukee and nobody thought he is going to be the everyday 3B of the team. They saw in Francisco a good hitter, mostly a power-hitter. But then these two guys achieved to overcome 2B issue (Goins, Getz, Diaz) with a great switch, Lawrie on 2nd and Francisco on 3rd . This switch offered the team an extra good hitter in the bottom/middle of lineup, instead of an easy out in the bottom.

The second impressive idea was the full "switch hitting" lineup. Reyes (S), Melky(S), Bautista(R), Lind, (L), Edwin(R), Francisco(L), Lawrie(R), Navarro(S), Gose (L). Right-Left-Right-Left.... I think it's tricky for pitchers to face different side hitter repeatedly... somehow they are going to confuse...

Last but not least, what "Seitzer preach". Everybody was mad during the Spring Training, when Buck mentioned the word Seitzer 45 times each game and how he will change Blue Jays approach at bat from a selfish, kind of silly into a productive, teamwork point of view. And he did it! He turned Melky into a great hitter (2nd @ Hits) with a consistent .309 AVG, he achieved to turn also Bautista and Edwin from selfish power hitters to "get the best out of this at bat" and in general everyone in this team has a smart approach at bat.

Rotation

The biggest issue in this team was (and still is) the rotation. Last year it was great disappointment and during the Spring Training it seemed to be quite the same. This is not true and for me is a mix of both luck and changes. Luck isn't countable or proof-able, so it's a personal sense. Changes are countable into Wins, ERA etc. So for example having Hutchinson this year is good. Also changes started during the season like Hendriks, Stroman, Happ worked perfectly until the time we speak. No words for Buehrle!

What I would like to see extra?

  • Consistency from the last spots of rotation (Happ, Stroman, etc.). They have a great lineup for backup, so be decent please.
  • Consistency from Lawrie, Reyes, Francisco, Navvaro. Getting more often on base. Reyes is a stealing threat, he needs to be more. Francisco and Lawrie give HRs, they need to get more when they're not in a great day. Navvaro was pretty consistent earlier, he get back in this frame of mind.
  • Colby Rasmus back healthy. I like Gose and his defence, but we need Colby's slugging.
  • Gose bunt more. You are Usain Bolt!
  • Better command from Dickey. He had some great outings, some really bad and some really lucky ( like yesterday vs Detroit). I think he has the will and maturity to be better than that.
  • More multi-run home runs. We need to have guys on base more often when it happens. Many of Edwin's and Bautista's homers are solo.
  • Less LOB! We leave so many guys on base. We are going to base loaded with 2 outs and it sucks...
  • Buehrle start the All-Star game for AL!
  • I would like some more decent choices on bench. It's a great year Rogers don't be cheap...

I'm not greedy, I want post-season! GO BLUE JAYS!!!

P.S.: Sorry for my poor English ;)