Blue Jays sign Luis Ayala to minor league deal

Kevin C. Cox

MLB Trade Rumors tells us that the Jays have signed veteran reliever Luis Ayala to a minor league deal.

Ayala is 36, he's played in the majors 9 seasons, starting his career with the Montreal Expos, back in 2003. He has also played for the Nationals, Mets, Twins, Marlins, Yankees, Orioles and Braves. In 534 games, he has a 3.34 ERA, 19 saves. In 554.1 innings he's allowed 581 hits, 139 walks and 367 strikeouts.

Last year, Luis pitched in 37 games with the Bravies with a 2.90 ERA. In 31 innings he allowed 34 hits, 13 walks with 21 strikeouts.

Ayala's had an interesting 2014, signing with the Nationals and being with them through spring training, getting released when he didn't make the team, then signing with the Orioles, but leaving when his opt out clause come up. He doesn't have an opt out clause in the contract with the Jays.

We have been scrambling with the last spot in the pen, Chad Jenkins, Niel Wagner, Rob Rasmussen and Bobby Korecky have all been up to fill the spot and sent back down at least once this season, so it won't be a surprise if Ayala gets a chance at some point.