2014 MLB Draft: Blue Jays 5th Round Pick: RF Lane Thomas

Pudge Rodriquez got bored at the draft. - Rich Schultz

With their fifth round pick in the 2014 MLB Draft, the Blue Jays selected RF Lane Thomas out of Bearden High School in Tennessee. Thomas also pitches (as seen in the video below) and plays shortstop so he could end up anywhere on the diamond with the Blue Jays. Standing at 6'1" and 180 lbs. Lane is definitely an upside pick with a ton of risk involved.

The slot for this fifth round pick is $343,000 and is the first pick that isn't a pitcher or catcher for the Blue Jays in this year's draft. In his senior high school season this year, Thomas hit .410 with 17 home runs in 41 games played. The right-handed hitting outfielder is committed to play baseball at Tennessee.

Jim Callis said, "Plus speed, interesting bat" after Thomas was drafted by Toronto. His former high school coach said,

He has a chance to be a great power hitter, but he also has tremendous speed. He can steal a ton of bases. He set the table for our offense. I couldn't have asked for anything more out of him.

I'm no scout, but this swing isn't the sexiest thing in the world: