Bisons win on walkoff

Nolin - Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports

Toledo 4 Buffalo 5

The Bisons managed to escape with a split of the series beating Toledo last night in walk off fashion. A.J. Jimenez scored the winning run on a squib hit off the bat of Kenny Wilson. The ball hardly made it past the mound but Jimenez used a great jump to just barely squeeze in before the tag.

The Bisons got more good news in last night's game as both Sean Nolin and Rob Rasmussen returned from injuries. For Nolin it was his first start off of the disabled list, while Rasmussen has just missed a few days after taking a line drive off of the elbow. Both looked good in their returns.

Nolin having been out for several weeks was a bit rusty. Restricted to just 3.1 innings of work he gave up two hits and a pair of walks. One of the hits happened to leave the park as Ben Guez jumped on a hanging changeup. Nolin was however able to command all of his pitches striking out two, and should be a big part of the rotation again moving forward.

Offensively it was just three big hits that lead the way. Dan Johnson got things started early again with a two run home run in the first inning. This came after Darin Mastroianni extended his hit streak to nine games while also stealing a base for the third straight game. Jimenez had a bit of a breakthrough came driving in two runs on a well hit double in the fifth. Of course he also scored the game winner after getting aboard with line drive single. Despite not getting many hits of late both Allenson and Jimenez feel he has been getting good swings and contact. Now it may be time for that to translate into production.

The Bisons were fortunate to get the win before the game stretched any longer because the short start by Nolin and the extra work of late had the bullpen on its last legs. Apparently we were just an inning or two off of getting to experience Dan Johnson's knuckleball. It was a big win for the Herd to be sure and they will hope to build off of it today in the first game of another series with Syracuse. Kyle Drabek will get the ball tonight matching up again with former Jay Aaron Laffey.