Stop me if you've heard this one: one bad inning costs the Jays the game

And safe - Brian Blanco

Blue JaysRays 10

It is one of those baseball truisms that winning teams most often score more runs in 1 inning than the other team scores in the game. That's one of the reasons I hate playing for a run.

The bottom of the 6th was awful. Again, I think that Gibby has to be better at noticing that his starter is tiring. For 5 innings, Drew Hutchison was pretty good. Before the 6th he had allowed 5 hits, 2 walks and 2 runs. The 6th started out with a walk and a line drive single. It seemed, to me, like Drew was tiring. Everything was up and off the plate. He should have been gone then. But no. Another walk, and he's still in the game. Jose Molina strikes out, thanks Molina. Then another walk to bring in the go ahead run. And finally he's out at 113 pitches.

I don't know what was going on, I guess Gibby was hoping to get Drew a win. It's a bad way to manage. I don't like pushing starters to go a little further, I think that's how guys get hurt.

Anyway, J.A. Happ comes in, with the bases loaded and 1 out and gets the nice ground ball to the left side of the infield. Just what we were hoping for, expect it gets through between our very rangy third base-shortstop tandem. Two more ground balls through the same hole and the Rays score 6 in the inning.

Other than that? Lots of sloppy defense. Anthony Gose played the first Rays hit of the game into a double. Colby Rasmus made a poor throw on a fly out allowing the same base runner, Kevin Kiermaier, to go to third. Another fly out and Kiermaier scored. We had poor throws from Melky Cabrera, helping the Rays to their 6 run inning.

And sloppy base running, Jose Reyes was thrown out at second, trying to stretch a bloop single into a bloop double, in the 5th. It did take a nice throw from second baseman Sean Rodriguez and a nice tag from Yunel Escobar, but, even after a challenge, he was out.

I'll admit, I got a kick out of Yunel picking up Navarro's arm off second base and tagging him, in the 8th. I like to see guys have some fun out there.

Sergio Santos pitched the 7th inning and was just awful, giving up 3 hits and 2 walks, but luckily only 2 runs. I really think it is time to give up on the boy. Redmond pitched a quick 8th.

On offense, we only had 9 hits (all singles except for doubles from Juan Francisco and Dioner Navarro) and 2 walks. Melky (0 for 5, 2 k) had a particularly terrible day at the plate.

No Jays of the Day. Suckage to Hutch (-.263), Happ (-152, but only because the ground balls he gave up missed gloves) and I'm giving one to Santos too, he didn't have the number (-.008) but that's because the game was decided before he came in. And I'm giving Melky one too, not only for the 0 for 5, but because he could have helped us out with a good throw in the 6th.

We had a nice 878 comments in the GameThread, as much we were all a bit grumpy. Pikachu led the way with a lazy 140 comments.

# Commenter # Comments
4 Tom Dakers 72
5 T-Ball 46
6 e&n4e 41