Blue Jays DFA Deck McGuire

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Another one that surprises me, not that they shouldn't DFA Deck, but that they would. I figured that, since he was the Blue Jays first round pick in 2010, that they would go a little longer before giving up on him. Thought he might clear waivers.

Anyway Deck is in DFA limbo for a while, to make room for Brad Mills. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade Mills is over Deck but Deck hasn't done anything to make the team want to keep him since the day they signed him

This season It looks like McGuire might be turning things around, he started the season in New Hampshire and had a pretty good 2.98 ERA in 10 starts, allowing 58 hits, 3 homers, 17 walks and 47 strikeouts. They moved him up to Buffalo but that didn't go well. He is 3-5 with a 5.56 ERA, in 10 starts at Buffalo. In 55 innings, he has allowed 57 hits, 12 home runs, 23 walks with 38 strikeouts.

I do wonder if another team will take a try with him. First round picks normally get several chances, and the team got good reviews for picking Deck. The hope was that he would quickly raise through the minor leagues, he was thought to be a pretty safe choice.