Game #86 Preview: Blue Jays vs. Brewers

Nick Turchiaro-USA TODAY Sports

The second half of this mid-week two-game set with the Brewers kicks off today at 12:37 as Wily Peralta takes on J.A. Happ. The Dominican right-hander has been the Brewers second-best starter this year (behind Kyle Lohse) and looks to build on the great start to his second full season with Milwaukee. With a 3.20 ERA Peralta doesn't blow anyone away, but the ground-ball pitcher had been consistently putting in solid performances up until about mid-May. Since then, Peralta's ERA has jumped from almost 2.00 to the aforementioned 3.20 mark and opposing teams are getting a lot more hits off the righty.

His pitches are pretty straightforward with a fastball, sinker and slider combination looking to induce weak contact and ground balls from hitters. His fastballs have some jump on them, regularly hitting mid to high-90's on the radar gun. Even his slider is 86 MPH, so obviously everything the Dominican throws comes fast and with movement. As you can see, there isn't a ton of difference between his fastball and sinker:

Brooksbaseball-chart__9__medium

If his 53.2% GB-rate didn't convince you that Peralta is a ground ball pitcher then this should do it:

Nuu280w_medium

Hopeful Lineup

  1. Jose Reyes SS
  2. Melky Cabrera LF
  3. Jose Bautista RF
  4. Edwin Encarnacion DH
  5. Adam Lind 1B
  6. Dioner Navarro C
  7. Colby Rasmus CF
  8. Juan Francisco 3B
  9. Steve Tolleson 2B

Find The Link

Find the link between Wily Peralta and Sunderland AFC's Scottish midfielder.

Gut Feelings

  1. A lot of people watching this game are hungover.