Blue Jays sign international free agents Juan Meza and Kevin Vicuna

The Blue Jays have signed two international free agents:

  • Juan Meza as a 16 year old pitcher from Venezuela. He's 6'3", 190 pounds. He throws a low 90's fastball. Baseball America has him as the 10th best international prospect.
  • Kevin Vicuna is a 16 year old Venezuelan shortstop. He's 5'11", 140 pound. Said to a be a good defensive player. Baseball America has him as the 30th best international prospect.

Matt Garrioch, over at Minor league Ball, had this to say about Juan Meza:

Juan Meza, R/R, 6', 170, Venezuela

Meza has a nice, smooth delivery and repeats well. He looks like a good athelte and his fastball is in the mid to upper 80's like most of the top arms. His changeup looks excellent but I didn't see a good breaking ball. From his arm slot, a good breaking ball would be difficult. He may end up working on a slider but he's 16 and has a live arm. I bet he's a 7 figure guy as well.