Is Jeff Francoeur headed to the Blue Jays?

Jeff - Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

MLB Daily Dish tells us that Jeff Francoeur could opt out of his Padres minor league deal and could join the Blue Jays 'very soon'".

In 83 games for El Paso this season, Francoeur is hitting .297 with 15 HR and 52 RBI. There does not seem to be room in a crowded Padres' outfield for him, so the most likely scenario for him would appear to be a major league opportunity with another team.

Francoeur has always been able to hit lefties and we could use someone like that. He has a .285/.335/.465 line against LHP. He would be an improvement over Brad Glenn and Darin Mastroianni. He's not bad in the outfield, and has a good arm.

On the minus side, he hit a big .204/.238/.298 batting line last year, splitting time between the Royals and Giants. In 2012 he hit .235/.287/..378 in 148 game with the Royals. I'm not a big fan, but he likely would be better than Glenn.