FanPost

Inside Houston's "Ground Control"

The following is allegedly leaked from Houston's new computer system set up to co-ordinate trade chatter amongst the Houston brain trust. Here's the chatter on proposed trades for Bud Norris from last year. "AA", of course, needs no introduction.

"datetime","note" "7/29/2013"," SF said they wouldn't include Mejia on top of Blackburn." "7/29/2013"," SF said they still had interest in Norris. JL said they would have to include both Blackburn and Mejia to be competitive." "7/29/2013"," AA texted JL and asked what a package around Stroman might look like. JL said Stoman + Gose would be in consideration." "7/29/2013"," BC texted JL and said they couldn't include Boegarts, Cecchini, Webster, or Bradley but thought they had enough depth to still make an appealing package. JL wrote back and asked if they would consider a package around Barnes and Owens." "7/29/2013"," JL said we would consider Danry Vasquez. DD got back to JL a few days later and said they'd do Vasquez. JL said to do it now we would have to add a minor piece like David Paulino. Given that Paulino is hurt, the deal was structured as a PTBNL with Emanuel Chavez as the other option" top 50 prospect. " "7/28/2013","- NH offered Heredia + comp pick for Norris. JL said no." "7/26/2013","JL talked to Mo about STL trade deadline needs. Mo said he might have interest in Bedard but hadn't decided yet. Also said he might have interest in Norris but not at an elite prospect level (he included Wong, Martinez, Wacha, Taveras as elite guys)" "7/26/2013"," DD checked to see if we saw a Norris deal without Bundy. JL said that was unlikely bud we'd be willing to add to Norris to get Bundy." "7/26/2013"," Rizzo called JL to inquire on Harrell. JL told him we would still need a headliner like Giolito because we still value Harrell highly. Rizzo did not respond immediately." "7/25/2013","BC told JL that right now they don't think they would consider those names but will let JL know if that changes." "7/25/2013"," NH said he would not include Polanco in any Norris deal. JL asked for Glasnow + Heredia or Glasnow + Kingham and NH said no. NH said he was willing to add to Heredia. NH said he would also consider adding to Heredia with pick 73. JL said that Glasnow had to be the headliner and we were looking for." "7/24/2013"," BOS offered Ryan Lavarnway or Deven Marrero for Norris. We said no." "7/24/2013"," JL told BC that it would have to be one of Boegarts, Webster, Bradley, or Cecchini to get in the conversation at this point." "7/24/2013"," PIT asked for second names to go along with Glasnow, Heredia, Hanson for Norris" "7/23/2013"," JL offered Norris for Blackburn, Mejia, and Mella. SF said no." "7/23/2013"," DET said no to Thompson for Veras." "7/22/2013"," DD and JL texted. JL said taht we would do Norris = Veras for Castellanos and that we would consider Norris for Jake Thompson. DD said that SP was not a priority for them now but that they would consider those names and get back to us." "7/22/2013","JL told RA that we would consider Aaron Altherr. RA said that seemded like a reasonable ask and he was still evaluating where he was. He would get back to us." "7/21/2013"," PIT said the wouldn't trade Taillion or Polanco. Might consider one of Glasnow, Heredia, or Hanson for Norris. " "7/20/2013"," JL told AA that we would consider Stroman +. AA said he had a bunch of balls in the air at once but would get back to JL." "7/19/2013"," AA texted JL and asked what it would take for Norris. AA said Aaron Sanchez is off the table but might be willing to talk about anyone else." "6/30/2013"," PIT reached out to JL and expressed interest in Norris." "6/28/2013"," SF said they could not do Blackburn and Crick but that they would like to keep talking and keep in touch on Norris." "6/28/2013"," SF indicated to JL that they would do Blackburn plus another piece but couldn't include Crick." "6/28/2013"," DD said he would not do Bundy. Suggested Mike Wright and Pedro Strop" "6/26/2013"," DD called JL and expressed continued interest in Norris. JL said that for us to consider it at this point it would have to revolve around Bundy or Gaussman. DD said no on Gaussman but did not dismiss Bundy out of hand. DD said he ahd to talk to his doctors to really see what was going on." "6/17/2013"," Bobby Evans called DS to check in on Norris. DS told BE that it's probably a little early for us to consider dealign Norris but are always willing to listen. DS said that when we do trade Norris we will likely be looking for quality over quantity."

Ultimately, the Orioles got Norris for their #6 and #19 prospects. Stroman + Gose seemed like a much better deal for Houston. Norris is currently 7-5, 3.62 for the O's this year.