Game #88 Preview: Blue Jays @ Athletics

Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports

After the mess of last night's game, the Blue Jays don't have to wait long to get a chance at redemption as today's game gets underway at 4:00pm EST. Lefty Tommy Milone gets the ball for Oakland against rookie Marcus Stroman in the Independence Day matinee. Milone is a 27-year-old Californian who didn't get any serious action in the major leagues until 2012, meaning he's still in his pre-arbitration years. He came over from the Washington Nationals in the Gio Gonzalez trade and has held his own on the West Coast. He has no eye-popping peripherals, but he's gotten the job done well enough for three straight seasons.

As mentioned in our "View from the other side", Milone is pretty much the usual soft-tossing lefty with great command and a good changeup. His fastball sits about 88 mph as well as possessing heaters of the sinker and cutter variety. There's also a curveball thrown in there every once in a while, which is used a lot of the time as a first pitch to left-handed hitters. Assuming the Blue Jays stack their lineup with right-handed hitters though, there's going to be a lot of fastballs and changeups this afternoon. You can see that the change closely resembles his sinker in terms of movement:

Brooksbaseball-chart__10__medium

Here's visual evidence of the great changeup:

Milone-ch-to-shoppach123a_medium

via FanGraphs

Hopeful Lineup

Lefties actually hit Milone better thanks to his changeup being so nasty on right-handers, but the splits aren't too severe.

  1. Jose Reyes SS
  2. Melky Cabrera LF
  3. Jose Bautista RF
  4. Edwin Encarnacion 1B
  5. Dioner Navarro C
  6. Colby Rasmus CF
  7. Darin Mastroianni DH
  8. Steve Tolleson 3B
  9. Munenori Kawasaki 2B

Find The Link

Find the two links between Tommy Milone and the 2007 Rose Bowl MVP.

Gut Feelings

  1. Germany and Brazil could both be in trouble at the World Cup today.
  2. The Blue Jays are going to have success against Tommy Milone this afternoon.