Tying up Last Night's Loose Ends: Bautista's Anger and Encarnacion's Injury

Jason O. Watson

Needless to say the game was a rough one in Oakland last night, with the game taking a turn for the worse when the replay review on an eighth inning Melky Cabrera play at the plate was incorrectly upheld. Afterwards, Sportsnet cameras caught Jose Bautista ranting in the dugout with no hints given to the subject of his anger. Most people assumed he was angry with the play of his team, but in fact he was solely ranting on the credibility of this shaky replay system. As he said in the media scrum after the game:

He missed him by a good foot or two. I don’t really know which replay they were looking at but clearly they must have had a different video feed than the one we had....it all goes down the drain because somebody first, initially, made a bad call to begin with. And then it gets upheld by god knows who, in some room in New York supposedly.

Thankfully he confirmed that none of his anger was directed at his team:

It was over this. It’s not frustration over anything else, that situation, that moment. I feel like there was a chance for Adam Lind to tie the game in the eighth inning was taken away from us.

Quotes via Gregor Chisolm - North of the Border

The other part of the frustration from last night was the Edwin Encarnacion injury in the first inning that was detailed in the recap. It looked pretty bad on the field and not much positive news has been given to quell Blue Jays fans' fears:

If Encarnacion does hit the DL, the Blue Jays roster will be in quite a state and pressure will build on Alex Anthopoulos to make some sort of move in the coming weeks to help the infield depth of the team.